Friday, August 18, 2017

Another Day, Another Lesson Learned

This has NOT been a great day today.  It started out as good as it usually does, then my computer, my brand new in February, Dell Windows 10 computer CRASHED!  I got a message that locked up my computer, saying that multiple viruses and/or infected files had required it to stop working, or else my files, bank accounts, etc would be left vulnerable to hackers.  It offered a toll-free number that it said I should call at once to prevent further compromise of my data.  I called and it was the Microsoft IT Support people.  After going through a lot of information, Neil told me how to give them access to my computer to check for problems.  To make a very long story short-ER, he told me that the antivirus program that the folks at Staples in Sedona, AZ installed for me......at a significant cost, was NOT compatible with Windows 10...which this computer has.  He found almost 3000 infected files and viruses, dating back to when I first got this computer.  They would remove all that for free, but said they would recommend that I install, or have them install a protection plan that is compatible with Windows 10.  I, of course, asked them what they would suggest I should have.  They advised I get the Microsoft protection plan.  It would cost me $149.99 for one year, or $199.99 for three years, or $239.99 for five years.  I really did NOT want to spend that much, however, I also didn't want to go through this again in a year.  The extra good news is that for the price, they also cover both of our computers, and both of our tablets.......................and if we get new Smart phones (not too likely, but still good to know) they will cover up to 10 devices on this same coverage.  It took over 3 hours to scan everything, and remove all the crap on my computer, and set up all the protection it now has.  Once a month, I call them and give them my customer ID number, and they will scan everything, and if anything IS wrong, fix it on the spot.  That's what I call peace of mind for me!  And it's for a full five years.  WOW.  They also fixed a couple little problems that were making my computer life less than perfect.  It's easy to be suspicious,as Jim was, about things like this.  I tried to call my computer guy in Orange County to advise me before I called the support guy, but I couldn't reach him.  I really didn't dare leave my computer unprotected either, so I took a leap of faith and got it taken care of.  Of course I could have been taken advantage of, but my computer is working great now.  I had complained to Jim for the last couple weeks that it seemed slower than molasses in January, and now it it humming along beautifully.   

Two days ago we got our monthly mail sent to us from Arrey.  I don't know if I have told you before, but a man in our home church mails us copies of Pastor Paul's sermons each month.  It is wonderful to read his thoughts, and sometimes it is amusing too.  I would like to share some humor we got this week from Pastor Paul.
"I don't do windows, because I love birds, and don't want one to run into a clean one and get hurt.
I don't wax floors, because I am afraid a guest will slip and get hurt, then I'll feel terrible, plus they might sue me.
I don't disturb cobwebs, because I want every creature to have a home of its own.
I don't do spring cleaning, because I love all seasons and don't want the others to get jealous.
I don't put things away, because my husband will never be able to find them again.  
I don't do gourmet meals when we entertain, because I don't want my guests to stress out over what to make when they invite us over for dinner at their place.
I don't iron, because I choose to believe them when they say Permanent Press.
Finally, I don't pull weeds in the garden, because I don't want to get into God's way."  
He went on with a parable that Jesus told his disciples about "the one who sowed the good seeds was the Son of Man and the weeds are the sons of the evil one."  The harvesters are angels who will throw everything that causes sin and all who do evil into the fiery furnace.  Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father.  Pastor Paul went on to quote Paul who said in Romans 3:23 "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  Pastor Paul went on to say that God is our Savior.  "God has no desire to destroy us.  God is our Savior.  He offers us forgiveness and the opportunity to start over.  God's only desire is to free us from the mess we've made of our lives."  I won't copy his whole sermon for you here, but I think the message offers us great hope.  Remember, our heavenly Father does NOT lie, and He has promised us eternity in heaven.  That can take away any pain life here on earth can throw at me, any day of the week.   

Have a great weekend, and praise God for all He has given us now and for the future.  Life IS good, and the next life will be so much better.  Happy Trails everyone.  :o) 
 

2 comments:

  1. Believe me, I know from experience that it's no fun having to spend hours while a computer guru fixes you computer. I had a computer crash many years ago and remember the hours it took to get it right again. Thanks goodness that's never happened since. It is important to have good protection so that headache won't occur again. It was money well spent. Sorry you had such a day, though. In some ways it was a wasted day but with a good outcome.
    Enjoyed Pastor Paul's humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reply. I had another reply from a friend who was afraid it was a scam and I may have given away my credit card number to a hacker. However, I received an email receipt from Microsoft, so I hope it was all legitimate. Glad you liked Pastor Paul's humorous sermon. He is a wonderful preacher, and a great guy too.

    ReplyDelete